The National Science and Language Initiative for Youth NSLI-Y program is a unique initiative designed to provide students with the opportunity to learn a foreign language and immerse themselves in the culture of a different country while pursuing their education.
The scholarship is administered by the National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y), a U.S. government program that seeks to promote linguistic and cultural understanding among American youth and to prepare the next generation of global leaders.
The NSLI-Y scholarship, offers selected students the chance to study in various countries for a year and gain invaluable insights into Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Persian (Tajiki), Russian, Turkish language, culture, and history.
Students are required to study these languages intensively for the duration of their stay in the target country, with instruction provided by experienced language teachers. Participants also have the opportunity to practice their language skills in real-life situations through interactions with their host families, classmates, and local community members.
The NSLI-Y scholarship covers all the expenses associated with the year-long study program in various language countries, including tuition fees, round-trip airfare, living expenses, and medical insurance. Students also receive a stipend for incidental expenses and have access to cultural events and excursions organized by the program.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for NSLI-Y applicants must:
- Be U.S. citizen at the time of application.
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent.
- Be 15-18 years of age at start of the program.
- Be enrolled in grades 9-12 (high school or home school equivalent) at the time of application.
- Not be in either of the two ineligibility categories described below.
How to Apply?
You can submit an application by visiting the official website to apply.
Benefits of the scholarship
• Participants receive a scholarship that covers all the expenses associated with the year-long study program in the target country, including tuition fees, round-trip airfare, living expenses, and medical insurance. Students also receive a stipend for incidental expenses and have access to cultural events and excursions organized by the program.
• The NSLI-Y program is promote cross-cultural understanding and global leadership skills among its participants. Through their experiences in China, NSLI-Y scholars gain a deeper appreciation for the richness and diversity of Chinese culture and develop the skills and knowledge necessary to become effective global citizens.
• They also forge lifelong friendships and connections with people from different parts of the world, which can be invaluable in today’s interconnected global community.
•Being selected as an NSLI-Y Scholar brings recognition and prestige to the participant’s academic profile. It demonstrates their exceptional abilities and dedication to your chosen field, setting them apart from other applicants in future endeavors.
• The NSLI-Y Scholarship may offer additional academic opportunities such as research grants, internships, or study abroad programs. These experiences enrich students’ educational journey, broaden their horizons, and enhance their skill set.
• The NSLI-Y Scholarship not only supports academic pursuits but also enhances career prospects. Employers often value scholarship recipients for their commitment, work ethic, and resilience, providing an edge in the competitive job market.
The NSLI-Y scholarship is an incredible opportunity for American students to deepen their understanding of foreign languages, cultures, and history while developing crucial global leadership skills. The comprehensive language and cultural training provided by the program can help participants to become more effective communicators and problem-solvers in an increasingly interconnected world.