Creighton University is a private Society of Jesus (Jesuit) research university located in Omaha, Nebraska. The university was founded in September 1879 as Creighton College by the Society of Jesus. It was founded as stated in Lucretia Creighton’s will to establish a university in memory of her husband, Edward Creighton, a prominent businessman in Omaha.
At the initial stage John A Creighton, who is the brother of Edward Creighton, helped startup, foster and sustain the university’s endowment and early growth. The university was later split into Creighton Preparatory School and the Creighton University we have today.
Creighton University is an accredited member of the Higher Learning Commission and is classified among the “R2: Doctoral Universities- High Research Activity”.
This glorious institution has an urban setting with a campus size spanning 118 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Creighton University ranked 115th in the 2023 edition of Best National Universities by U.S. News. Creighton is one of the best research universities in the country. Creighton University has 51 majors and 22 broad fields of study in nine different schools, including science, law, and public health.
Creighton University is a large resource research university where small class sizes are the norm and staff are accessible and approachable. Creighton University has an average class size of 20 students with a student-to-faculty ratio 12:1.
The 50+ majors at Creighton are dispersed between the School of Law, College of Arts and Sciences, Graduate School, Heider College of Business, School of Medicine, School of Dentistry, College of Nursing, College of Professional and Continuing Education and School of Pharmacy and Health Profession.
Creighton University Ranking
As one of America’s finest institutions, Creighton University has a series of excellent ranking positions in comparison to other universities. Creighton University is one of the top Jesuit universities in the United States.
In a recent publication, Creighton University was listed as one of the nation’s top universities, according to the U.S. News & World Report and The Princeton Review. In the U.SNews Best Colleges 2023 edition, Creighton ranked No. 151 among the nation’s top National Universities list and No. 59 on the list of Most Innovative Schools.
In the world ranking, Tulane is ranked 601-605 in the Q.S. Global World Rankings by Subject 2023. Other of its ranking indices are:
- Creighton University was ranked #71 in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Colleges for Veterans
- Creighton University was ranked #28 in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Undergraduate Teaching Universities
- Creighton University was ranked #90 in the 2022-2023 edition of Best Value School
- Creighton University was ranked #395 in the 2022-2023 edition of Tip Performance on Social Mobility
Creighton University Acceptance Rate
Getting admitted into Creighton University requires that you meet their GPA and SAT/ACT average scores. It is very important to make it past the first round of filters and prove your academic preparation.
As of 2023, Creighton University’s acceptance rate is 74%, and to increase your chances of gaining admission, you should aim for a 1250 SAT or a 25 ACT score. You should also have a 3.0 GPA or higher. The best way to secure your admission at Creighton University is to apply early and beat the deadline for early application around the second week of January. There is also a non-binding E.A. round with a November deadline.
Creighton University Admission Requirement
Getting admitted into Creighton University can be as smooth as possible, but it can also be rough if you can only comfortably meet some requirements. Creighton University has placed certain academic requirements for admission test scores, generally admitting students who score are able to comfortably beat these scores.
ACT Scores Requirements
Admission data indicates Creighton regularly accepts students with ACT of 24 and above. Successful applicants typically send ACT scores between 24 and 30, and It is estimated that the school accepts below 24 in some instances. But candidates submitting an ACT composite of 25 or higher would be in the upper half of applicants.
SAT Scores Requirements
Creighton University typically prefers applicants to submit sound SAT scores around 1220 to 1400 on a 1600 scale. Some students could be accepted with SATs as low as 1200. The school expects candidates to be top performers in their high school.
Creighton University Location
Creighton University has three main campuses;
- Omaha Campus: Creighton University Omaha campus was built in 1878. Today, over a million people call the Omaha metro home. It has historic neighborhoods, as it is next door to tech startups, established Fortune 500s, and more. There is a lot to love about the city.
- Arizona Campus: Creighton has had a Phoenix campus for over a decade now. The campus was opened to help meet the growing need for healthcare professionals in the area in 2021.
- Dominican Republic Campus: With over 45+ years of engagement in the Dominican Republic, a high-quality educational campus was opened to provide opportunities for global students. This led to a joint MBA program with Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra and a range of other elective courses.
Creighton University Notable Alumni
Some of the notable individuals and groups that have graduated from Creighton University that have made remarkable achievements include;
- Marcia Anderson: the first African-American woman to attain the rank of major general in the United States Army Reserve
- Michael P. Anderson: an astronaut killed in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster;
- Donald Keough: once president and chief operating officer of Coca-Cola
- Joe Ricketts: the founder of T.D. Ameritrade and owner of the Chicago Cubs
- Mark Walter: founder and chief executive officer of Guggenheim Partners and part owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Symone Sanders: Democratic strategist and spokesperson for Bernie Sanders’ 2016 presidential campaign
- Mike Johanns: former Governor of Nebraska, former United States Senator, and former United States Secretary of Agriculture
- Cathy Hughes: first African American woman to head a publicly traded corporation (Urban One) and currently second wealthiest African American woman
- J. Clay Smith Jr: former interim head of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and former dean of Howard University School of Law
- Ron Hansen: Novelist
- Bob Gibson: Major League Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher
Creighton University Undergraduate Tuition and Fee
In view of Tulane’s extensive merit-based and need-based scholarship programs, Tulane pays, on average, 40% of the actual tuition and fees for each student. The combination of these aid programs makes Tulane education an affordable investment that never stops yielding returns.
Below is the 2021-2022 cost of attendance for undergraduate students enrolled full-time at Tulane University.
- Freshman Resident
Tuition & Fees- $54,073
TOTAL- $71,594 (including transportation)
- Continuing Resident
Tuition & Fees- $54,073
TOTAL- $73,244( including transportation)
Creighton University Scholarship
At Creighton University, undergraduate scholarships are given as a reward for your hard work and accomplishments and also to help make education accessible. Creighton offers two types of scholarships; general merit scholarships and additional scholarship opportunities.
All students are evaluated for merit scholarships automatically when they apply at Creighton. There is no need to fill out any separate application for general merit scholarships. To receive consideration for Creighton merit scholarships, you can submit your application, and all required documents to the Office of Admissions as soon as possible. Scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis, with an early deadline of December 1.
After this, you would receive your scholarship decision along with your admissions decision about 4-6 weeks after you complete your application. After which, the processing applications are in mid-October, so the first admissions and scholarship decisions are sent in early November.