Lehigh University is a private liberal arts college located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. It was established as a place of education and research in 1865, originally founded as the Lehigh University of Pennsylvania. The institution retained its name as Lehigh University throughout its history. Lehigh University is recognized for its academic excellence and is considered one of the prominent institutions in the United States. The university is known for its selective admission process, ranking among the top universities in the country.
This esteemed university is situated in a suburban environment, encompassing a campus of 2,355 acres. It adheres to a semester-based academic calendar. Lehigh University secured its place in the 2023 edition of Best Liberal Arts Colleges by US News, receiving recognition for its dedication to higher education. Lehigh University offers various majors and minors distributed across various academic divisions.
Lehigh University combines the strengths of a comprehensive research university with the personalized approach of a small liberal arts college. A significant percentage of its faculty hold doctoral degrees, with over 90% of professors achieving the highest level of education in their respective fields. Lehigh University accommodates approximately 7,000 undergraduate students, maintaining an average class size of 18 students and a student-to-faculty ratio 9:1.
Lehigh University Ranking
Lehigh University is an esteemed institution of higher education that has consistently secured impressive rankings, distinguishing itself among other universities. Located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Lehigh University is renowned for its academic excellence and dedication to delivering a top-notch education.
In the latest rankings published by U.S. News & World Report and The Princeton Review, Lehigh University has reaffirmed its status as one of the nation’s premier universities. In the 2023 edition of Best National Universities by U.S. News, Lehigh University achieved an impressive rank of #47. Additionally, the university earned the distinction of being recognized as one of the Most Innovative Schools, securing a notable position at #35 on the list.
Lehigh University’s commitment to providing quality education is further evident in its rankings in specific categories:
– Best Undergraduate Engineering program (2023-2024 edition): Lehigh University excels in this category, achieving a ranking of #53
– Top Performers on Social Mobility (2023-2024 edition): Lehigh University is dedicated to promoting social mobility, as reflected in its commendable rank of #207
– Best Value Schools (2023-2024 edition): Lehigh University is committed to offering value, ranking impressively at #22
– Best Undergraduate Teaching University (2023-2024 edition): Lehigh University is dedicated to ensuring an exceptional first-year experience, as illustrated by its notable ranking at #207
These rankings demonstrate Lehigh University’s standing as a leading institution that provides its students with a high-quality and innovative educational experience.
Lehigh University Acceptance Rate
Gaining admission to Lehigh University is known for its competitiveness, considering its renowned reputation and high academic standards. Meeting the GPA and SAT/ACT requirements is essential to navigate the initial stages of the admission process successfully. As of 2023, Lehigh University maintains an acceptance rate of 46%. Securing a spot at Lehigh requires a comprehensive and well-prepared application, as the university maintains selectivity in its admissions.
To enhance their prospects of gaining admission, aspiring students should aim for academic excellence, striving to reach or exceed the 75th percentile of national students. Lehigh University typically looks for a 1340 – 1490 SAT score or a 30 – 33 ACT score. Moreover, maintaining a solid GPA of 3.50 or higher is advisable.
Lehigh University also offers an Early Decision admission pathway that is favored by many students. There are three rounds for Early Decision admission. The first, ED I, has a mid-December deadline; the second, ED II, has a deadline of mid-February, and ED III ends in mid-March. This application route can provide a significant advantage in the admission process. In summary, Lehigh University’s admission process is highly competitive, and students are encouraged to meet or exceed the specified academic criteria to enhance their chances of acceptance. Utilizing the Early Decision option is also strategic for those eager to join the Lehigh University community.
Lehigh University Admission Requirements
Securing admission to Lehigh University is challenging, reflecting the university’s prestigious status and rigorous academic standards. Lehigh maintains selective admissions, making it essential to meet specific GPA and standardized test score criteria. As of 2023, Lehigh University’s admission rate is 46%. This low acceptance rate underscores the competitiveness of gaining admission to Lehigh.
To bolster your prospects of admission, prospective students should aim to meet or surpass the 75th percentile for national students, which generally corresponds to a 1340 – 1490 SAT score or a 33 ACT score.
Lehigh University’s admissions process highly values academic performance, and the university typically admits students who have excelled academically in high school. Successful applicants often have achieved grades in the upper echelon of their class. Regarding standardized test scores, Lehigh University frequently accepts students with ACT scores ranging from 30 to 33. Those submitting an ACT composite score of 34 or higher are considered highly competitive applicants.
Lehigh University looks for students in the upper 50 percentile among test-takers for the SAT. While Lehigh’s SAT requirements vary slightly, it typically considers scores in the range of 1340 to 1490 as acceptable. Some students may be admitted with SAT scores as low as 1200. Still, the estimated average SAT composite score for accepted freshmen is 1420. Lehigh University’s admission standards are usually challenging, emphasizing academic excellence and strong standardized test scores. Meeting these criteria will strengthen your application and increase your chances of securing a spot at this esteemed institution.
Lehigh University Location
Nestled in the picturesque hills of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Lehigh University boasts a campus that’s as rich in natural beauty as it is in academic excellence. Established in 1865, this prestigious institution offers an exceptional educational experience within a serene and inspiring environment. Lehigh’s campus spans over 2,300 acres, with an array of architectural styles that combine historic charm with modern functionality. As you walk through the campus, you’ll find a seamless blend of classic red-brick buildings and state-of-the-art facilities, each contributing to the unique character of the university.
The Asa Packer Campus, named after Lehigh’s founder, is the heart of the university. Here, you’ll discover iconic buildings like the Gothic-style Packer Memorial Church and the elegant Alumni Memorial Building. These structures serve as centers for academics and student activities and as testaments to the university’s rich history. Lehigh University is also home to beautiful green spaces. The campus features the expansive Packard Park, where students can enjoy leisurely walks, picnics, or outdoor study sessions. The Lehigh University Arboretum adds to the natural beauty, housing a diverse collection of trees and plants that turn the campus into a vibrant tapestry during the changing seasons. The South Mountain, a prominent backdrop to Lehigh’s campus, offers hiking trails and a breathtaking view of the Lehigh Valley. It’s not uncommon to find students and faculty members seeking inspiration and tranquility amidst these scenic surroundings.
The university’s commitment to sustainability is evident through various initiatives, including the campus’s environmentally-friendly features. Lehigh has implemented solar power generation, waste reduction programs, and LEED-certified buildings. These efforts align with the campus’s desire to foster an eco-conscious and responsible community. Lehigh University’s stunning campus provides a conducive environment for academic pursuits and ample opportunities for personal growth, exploration, and appreciation of nature’s beauty. Whether you’re strolling through the historic core of the university or taking in the scenic views of South Mountain, Lehigh’s campus enhances the overall college experience, making it an exceptional place to learn and grow.
Lehigh University Notable Alumni
Lehigh University boasts a distinguished list of accomplished alumni who have contributed significantly in various fields. Among these notable graduates are:
1. Lee Iacocca: Former Chairman and CEO of Chrysler Corporation, widely recognized for his leadership in the automotive industry.
2. Roger Penske: A prominent figure in motorsports and business, he is the founder of Team Penske and an accomplished race team owner.
3. Mary Meeker: A renowned venture capitalist and former Wall Street securities analyst known for her insightful annual internet trends report.
4. Marty Baron: A prominent journalist, Baron served as the executive editor of The Washington Post and was central in the newsroom’s investigative reporting.
5. Robert B. Stempel: The former Chairman and CEO of General Motors, contributing significantly to the automotive industry.
6. Edmund Martin: A former NASA astronaut who participated in Space Shuttle missions, contributing to the field of space exploration.
7. Tony Iannelli: A respected civic leader, Iannelli is known for his contributions to economic development and community service in the Lehigh Valley.
8. Gary L. Butler Jr.: The former President and CEO of Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP), a global provider of HR and payroll services.
9. P.J. Carlesimo: A successful basketball coach with a college and professional coaching career, notably in the NBA.
10. Jeffrey A. Joerres: The former Chairman and CEO of ManpowerGroup, a global workforce solutions company.
These distinguished Lehigh University alumni have made their mark in various sectors, including business, journalism, sports, and technology, reflecting the university’s commitment to producing accomplished and influential individuals.
Lehigh University Undergraduate Tuition and Fees
For the 2022-2023 academic year, the cost of attendance for full-time undergraduate students at Lehigh University is as follows:
- Freshman Resident
Tuition & Fees – $55,140
Room – $7,230
Board – $6,320
Books – $1,300
Transportation – Variable
Miscellaneous – $1,200
TOTAL – $71,190
- Continuing Resident
Tuition & Fees – $55,140
Room – $7,230
Board – $6,320
Books – $1,300
Transportation – Variable
Miscellaneous – $1,200
TOTAL – $71,190
Lehigh University Scholarship
When pursuing higher education, the financial aspect can be a significant concern for many students. Lehigh University recognizes this and is committed to providing a wide range of scholarships to make quality education accessible. Lehigh University offers various scholarships to both undergraduate and graduate students. These scholarships cater to a diverse range of students based on academic achievement, financial need, and other criteria. Some of the notable scholarship opportunities at Lehigh include:
1. Merit-Based Scholarships: Lehigh University awards merit-based scholarships to incoming undergraduate students with exceptional academic performance. These scholarships recognize students’ achievements and provide financial assistance, making it more affordable to attend this prestigious institution.
2. Need-Based Financial Aid: Lehigh is committed to ensuring qualified students have access to their programs, regardless of their financial situation. The need-based financial aid program is designed to bridge the gap between the cost of attending the university and a family’s ability to pay. Students are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine their eligibility for need-based aid.
3. Departmental Scholarships: Many of Lehigh’s academic departments offer scholarships and awards to students majoring in their fields. These scholarships are often based on academic performance, dedication, and potential within a specific discipline.
4. Graduate Assistantships: Graduate students at Lehigh University can apply for graduate assistantships. These positions not only provide financial support but also valuable experience working in research, teaching, or administrative roles.
5. Additional Opportunities: Lehigh University encourages students to explore other scholarship opportunities, including external scholarships, to help fund their education.
Lehigh University provides world-class education and strives to make it accessible through various scholarship opportunities. To find out more about its scholarship opportunities, check this out.